Thursday, April 3, 2014

Waking Up by Renee Dyer Review







 For Adriana Monroe life couldn’t get any better. She has great friends, her photography business is booming and she married Alex, her childhood best friend. Life is perfect. It’s a fairy tale really.

But one night changes everything for her.

Suddenly she’s alone. She’s afraid to trust and afraid to love. Most of all she’s afraid she’s broken beyond repair. Nightmares torment and haunt her every time she closes her eyes.

Will she ever be the same?

For Tucker Stavros it looks to the outside world like things come easy for him. He’s gorgeous, rich, famous, has a hot girlfriend. Hell, he’s a movie star. If women aren’t trying to get with him then men are wishing they are him. What they don’t see is the broken child hiding behind the smiles he fakes for the cameras. They don’t see the man who wakes up drenched in sweat from his nightmares from a past he can’t escape.

Betrayal sent him running.

A chance encounter throws Tucker and Adriana together. They try to fight their attraction for each other. They feel they’re too broken for the other.

Will they continue to suffer in the hell of dreamland separately or will they find that Waking Up to real life together can be so much sweeter?





 
 
Buy Links:
 

 
B&N
 

 
 
 
Amazon
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Clare's Review:


 
 I have to admit. I was so conflicted over the first half of this book.
 
There were parts I absolutely loved and was so into.
And then parts that drove me a little crazy in a not so good way.

I'll start with the good!

 I. Loved. Adri.


 I loved her spirit and her honesty and just about everything about her.

Any parts of the book when you're inside her head are fantastic. You're basically following her journey of learning to live and love again after losing her husband and that is done very well.

I love the actual story line and the idea behind it.

And I love how clear it is that Renee put in a lot of time and effort and
thought into this book.
 

Here's my constructive criticism.

 My biggest problem was Tucker.


It's not that I didn't like him,
it's just that I couldn't connect with him and I'll tell you why.
I felt like he didn't have his own voice.
 This is something that you may not think about when you're reading regularly,
until it's not there.
He sounded...kind of like Adri. To the point where sometimes I'd have to go back and figure out who was talking or thinking.

He spoke and thought like a woman, to me anyway. 

I found it very distracting and it kept me from being fully invested in the story.

And I don't mind that he was sensitive in any way, I just mean that I couldn't get a clear feel of him without his own voice.

 The other thing that threw me off was in how the alternating POV was styled.


It was very repetitive.

So Adri would have this whole scene that was so great, and then Tucker would have the entire scene all over again from the beginning, with most of the dialogue repeated...and it kind of lost me,
and again, kept me from really getting fully into the story.

Now the good news is that these issues got exponentially better after the first half!


The alternating (and also some from other characters, which was fun) POVs got
a better flow, and Tucker's voice started to come out.

 By the end, I'm so completely dying for book 2!!!

I want the world for Tucker and Adri.

 There's a lot of beauty in this story of deep friendship and love.


It's definitely worth picking up!
 
 

 4 stars
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

1 comment: